Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Conventions in Writing

In my experience, students are taught to write two kinds of papers; professional topics and personal accounts or fiction.  The papers are extremely different formats and requirements and allow for different styles of writing.
The professional papers follow a strict structure with margins and headers and footers and page numbers and works cited.  The papers are to have a structure beginning with a introductory paragraph and thesis statement, about three paragraphs elaborating on the thesis statement, and then a conclusion paragraph that reaches a more complex grasp on the topic presented in the beginning.  Certain formats such as MLA are reviewed and memorized and utilized to the minute detail.  Moreover, the content of the paper should have a voice but there should never be personal comments by the author.  Of course, the author is presenting their own opinion and idea of the facts discussed but there is never an "I think" or "in my opinion".  The writing should elaborate fully and have hard evidence to support the claims.  This type of writing is extremely useful throughout school in order to portray professionalism and improve one's grade.
The personal accounts and fictional writing has a much less rigorous structure.  These writings are less common and mostly discouraged unless specifically required.  In these papers, there a few parameter beyond length, font, and spacing and the student may use personal statements in order to characterize and emphasize the tone of the author.  The teachers expected personal thoughts and comments on the events that happen throughout these writings.
Through the use of the professional papers the student is taught to present the facts and critically analyze the texts and evidence in order to prove a point of make a statement.  The personal accounts and fictional writings inspire the student to creatively write and escape into the fantasy realms.  These styles of writing are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum and through the proficient use of both of them, the students learn how to write in almost every element in order to find their personal style of writing.  Through uncompromising structures and countless papers and personal encouragement, I have learned to complete my ideas into words and organize the words into statements effectively for my required assignments in class and in my everyday life.  With this knowledge and the confidence I learned through schooling I will be able to write in a magnitude of elements and for multitude of reasons throughout my lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. This was a very insightful post on the many differences between two styles of writing. I agree, each has their own specific use and should be utilized as such. I never have been the greatest fan of writing, professional or personal, yet I cannot argue the great importance that it holds in our lives. Without good writing and literacy skills we would be barred from things such as job opportunities so because of school, despite of our personal feelings, I agree that we need to sharpen and hone these skills to further better ourselves as individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until my senior year in high school, I had always felt like there was this strong division between professional and personal writing. I never liked the fact that they were SO opposite. Professional papers felt so confining and lacking emotion. My senior English teacher changed this for me. She taught us that there could be rich amounts of tone and personality in professional papers. The way that each person analyzed a work was unique and we had to let that come through in our writing.

    ReplyDelete